Honey Roasted Carrot Lentil Salad recipe is top 9 free! Perfect for a light dinner or a summer picnic.
Lentil Salad recipe is a love letter to Melbourne
Honey roasted carrot lentil salad is my recipe love letter to Melbourne, one of the most gourmet cities I’ve visited. Plump tomatoes, lots of fresh herbs and lentils were a popular trio on many Melbourne menus. And I just so happened to eat that trio twice while visiting the city.
Summer was winding down in Melbourne when we were exploring the laneways and coffee shops, but one thing was still shining: the local produce, which you would see celebrated in the restaurants and cafes. When we got back from Australia it was still winter in Germany, needless to say, tomatoes and fresh herbs were not at their peak of tastiness. But the stores are starting to stock bright red tomatoes and piles of herbs, meaning it’s finally time to bring a little Melbourne into our tiny Berlin kitchen.
One of the lentil salads I ate included whole roasted carrots and as odd as it sounded it was quite delicious. With OAS (oral allergy syndrome) I can’t eat raw carrots, so I was super excited that a) this was something I could eat and b) it tastes good!
This Honey Roasted Carrot Lentil Salad recipe draws from that dish, but I chose to cut the carrots because as much as whole carrots look pretty, it makes the salad hard to eat. Adding honey while roasting the carrots gives them a caramelized outer shell that pairs sublimely with the freshness of basil and mint.
This lentil salad is great served fresh or made ahead for a picnic or BBQ. I like to serve it with a generous sprinkle of feta and a thick slice of crusty bread. Dang if this salad doesn’t scream summer!Print
Honey roasted carrot lentil salad is top 9 free! A perfect salad to eat fresh, pack to take on a picnic or serve as a side at a BBQ. Full of mint and basil it will freshen any meal.
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 4 medium carrots – cut in half and into quarters lengthwise
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Onion – finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 400g can of Lentils – drained and rinsed
- 2 Tomatoes – cut into large chunks or 10 cherry tomatoes – cut in half
- 6–8 Basil leaves – chiffonade (cut into thin lengths)
- 8–12 Mint leaves – chiffonade
Additional flavouring/ garnishes
- Lemon wedges
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 baking tray
Make Honey Roasted Carrots
- In your mixing bowl add the 2 tbsp of olive oil and honey, mix as best you can – they do not combine well, you just want the honey to spread out.
- Add carrots, coat in olive oil and honey. Keep the mixing bowl as is! Don’t wash it you will be using it for the salad (want to keep the olive oil and honey in it).
- Transfer carrots to a tray and roast for 20 minutes at 200°C (390°F) or until they are golden brown. Mix/flip the carrots every 5 minutes, so they brown evenly.
- Take out of the oven and let cool.
Make Lentil Salad
- In the same mixing bowl from the carrots – this should still have some oil and honey left in it, add the 1 tbsp olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, onion, and salt. Combine well.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, mint, basil and carrots. Mix everything together, taste and add additional salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve as is or with a wedge of lemon or a sprinkle of feta on top.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roast
Keywords: gluten-free, salads, nut-free, dairy-free, top 9 allergen-free, vegan salad, vegan
Our favorite tools to make Honey Roasted Carrot Lentil Salad
More Salad Inspiration
Kortney is your typical atopic triad! She manages asthma, eczema, environmental and food allergies. Kortney is a co-creator of the online community Allergy Travels and co-host of The Itch Podcast. She wants to spread joy in a community that can easily see the hard side of life with atopic disease and believes that you can have a full life with food allergies, it may just be lived a little differently!