This moist pumpkin chocolate bread recipe is dairy free and uses oil to make it the perfect light bread.
- 1 cup spelt, whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour.
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup brown or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plain, any plant based yogurt or full fat dairy yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup mega chocolate chunks or chocolate chips plus 2- 3 tablespoons extra for top. If using chocolate chips, use 3/4 cup plus 1/4 to sprinkle on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment.
- In a small bowl, combine sugars. Using a microplane, zest orange into sugars and mix with your hands, to release oils. Set mixture aside.
- Use a stand mixer or electric beaters on low speed or use a whisk; mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt.
- Add in pumpkin and sugar/zest mixture together. Add oil, vanilla, yogurt and eggs. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. Gently mix in chocolate chunks or chips.
- Pour batter into pan. Add extra chunks on top of loaf, pressing down lightly. Smooth and tap once to make sure batter is even.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until top of loaf is nicely browned, sides pull from the edges and/or a wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Keeps well up to 2 days wrapped in parchment/foil on the counter. Leftovers freeze well, for up to three months.
To bake as muffins: Follow above recipe except:
– Omit yogurt and add 1/4 cup buttermilk or for dairy free muffins: use 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt or coconut milk plus 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
– Add 1 extra tablespoon of cane sugar (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
– Batter will be thick. Fill to top.
– Bake for 18-20 minutes.
– Makes 12 muffins.
Bake mini muffins: for 12-14 minutes.
- Category: Bread
Keywords: pumpkin chocolate bread, moist pumpkin bread, healthy pumpkin muffins