Home » Roasted Cauliflower Soup-Gluten free, Nut free & Vegan
This Roasted Cauliflower Soup uses whole ingredients to create a nourishing and cozy meal that’s not only good for you but delicious too. It’s allergy-friendly; gluten-free, nut free and vegan.
Why are oats used in Roasted Cauliflower Soup?
We’ve made this soup dairy-free by using oats to add an extra kick of protein and a super creamy flavor. Oats are a surprise ingredient and you’ll be delighted with how creamy this soup tastes!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup: quick and easy
Prep time is minimal since everything is roasted together on a sheet pan which also makes clean up easier because there are fewer dishes to wash. You can make the oats ahead to save time.
This Roasted Cauliflower Soup is a great allergy-friendly dinner recipe because you can blend all the ingredients together with liquid of choice and you’ll be enjoying dinner in less than an hour.
Did you know that you can roast garlic cloves and shallots for a full-flavored Cauliflower soup?
Roasting brings out the sweetness of root vegetables like garlic and shallots and when pureed into this soup infuses surreal flavor. It takes an hour to roast a whole head of garlic which is’nt always convenient but yes, you can still roast individual cloves with the same result. You won’t even need to peel the skins because they’ll slide right off once roasted.
If you have the time and want to roast a whole head of garlic and/or freeze a big batch of roasted garlic, find out how in our article, “Ten Freezer Friendly Foods, Tips and Tools”.
Water, broth or both
I like to use an equal combination of water and broth for this Roasted Cauliflower Soup. Cauliflower has a delicate, subtle flavor and using all broth has a tendency to overpower the soup.
Whether you choose to use all water or a combination water/broth mixture, warm it up ahead. I like to warm my liquid up on the stove while the cauliflower is roasting. This way, when everything is blended together, your soup will stay warm and have a smooth consistency.
If you make this recipe, tag us at #eatzestfull. We would love to know what you think.
Zego Oats were gifted to Zestfull in collaboration for this post. We love using Zego oats because they contain twice the protein as traditional oats, 30 % more fiber and are purity tested for allergens, pesticides & gluten to ensure the highest level of GF safety.Print
This Roasted Cauliflower Soup uses oats to make it creamy and nutritious. Vegetables are roasted together on a sheet pan and blended together. Gluten free, nut free and vegan.
- ¼ cup oats, cooked. We like Zego Double Protein, Purity Tested Oats
- 1 head large cauliflower, about 2 pounds, cut into even size florets. Rinsed & dry.
- 3 tablespoons EVOO ( olive oil, avocado oil or neutral oil) plus 1/2 teaspoon extra
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided plus 1/2 teaspoon extra or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large shallot, skin on (about 1/3 cup rough chop after roasting)
- 3 cloves garlic, skin on
- Up to 6 cups water or (3 cups vegetable or chicken broth and 3 cups water). Less or more as needed.
- juice from 1/2 lemon or 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fine chopped parsley, cilantro or sprouts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Measure out ¼ cup cooked oats. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, toss cauliflower with 3 tablespoons oil, cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper.
- Brush ½ teaspoon oil on skins of shallot and garlic until coated.
- On a large baking tray, lay cauliflower, shallot and garlic cloves flat. Do not crowd.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and slightly caramelized around edges. Gently toss with a spatula once. Let cool on tray for a few minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup of cauliflower florets for garnish and slide skin off shallots and garlic.
- Rough chop shallot.
- Pour cauliflower, garlic, shallots and oats into a blender with three cups of warm water ( or warm water/broth combo) and cooked oats. Blend until smooth.
- Add pureed cauliflower mixture to a medium size pot with additional water or broth as needed, add 1 cup at a time up to 3 cups or to desired consistency. Warm.
- Add juice of lemon or vinegar and 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste.
- Top with roasted cauliflower, chopped parsley, pepper, red chili flakes and a drizzle of oil.
- Wash cauliflower & pat dry before roasting otherwise cauliflower will steam.
- Make sure florets are evenly chopped and have enough room to spread out on baking tray to ensure a consistent bake and carmelization.
- Use a bowl instead of a sheet pan to toss everything with oil. The round shape of your bowl ensures that the oil coats every part of the cauliflower.
- Soup will thicken when cool. Add liquid when reheating. Adjust with salt and pepper.
For more savory recipes using oats
Gluten Free Oat Milk – Zego Foods
Tools to make Roasted Cauliflower Soup
STAUB Cast Iron 4-qt Round Cocotte, TurquoiseSale Product on sale
Libertyware SP610 Eigth Size Aluminium Sheet Pan, Pack of 2$12.49
Shahla is a mom of two girls who live with environmental allergies such as asthma and eczema. Their food allergies include tree nuts, peanuts, sesame and other seeds. Shahla wants to share the comfort that cooking has brought her family. She believes that everyone, regardless of dietary requirements, deserves a plate full of color and flavor.